Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Two Down, One To Go!

It has been quite a busy weekend! I was up late Friday getting the quilts ready to go to the quilt lady. Saturday I went to the Mason Jar Quilt Shop to sew with Clarinda. It was nice there because they have a big cutting table so it was easier to cut the backing for both the quilts. I worked a little on the Japanese quilt after I got the backs ready to go. Melissa picked me up and took me to Springfield, OH to the quilt ladies house. Her name is Cynthia and she used to have a quilt shop but is now doing the quilting in the basement of her house. I picked out a fireworks design for Jack's quilt and daisies for Doris' quilt. She said I could drop the Japanese quilt off at 10 this morning, so I worked most of the night to get it ready to go, stayed up until 2 am and got back up around 8 to cut and sew the backing. I got it to her in time and she already had my first two quilted! She said she stayed up late to get them done. I think that is awesome! The Mason Jar has a 3 month backlog of quilting to do so I am glad I didn't take them there. They turned out really good. Now I have to trim them down and do the binding and they will be ready to be given away. The Japanese quilt will be ready by next Saturday which is good because I would like to give it to Mark while he is here. I really need to get me a long arm quilt machine once we move out west, the expense of getting them quilted by someone else will be recouped in now time, especially if I can quilt for others and charge something. Here are some pictures of the quilts!
This is the pieced top and the backing for Jack's quilt. It is ready to go to Cynthia.
This is Jack's quilt after going to Cynthia's. The design is called "Fireworks." I still need to trim the batting and cut binding and then bind. I will probably wash it too to get some of the stiffness out of it.
This is Doris' quilt all ready to go to Cynthia.
Here is the quilt all quilted up. The design is called "Daisies." It also needs to be trimmed, bound and washed. This will get mailed to her in July. Her birthday is July 22nd. I believe she will be 50 this year.
Here is a good shot of the daisies design. It came out really pretty.
Here they are together! I am so happy with them.
Here is the Japanese quilt with the middle panel done. It kind of turned out an odd rectangle but I added borders and I think it ended up being 88" by 60". Jack and Doris' quilts were 80" by 60". The middle panel ended up much bigger on this so as I added the borders the length continued to grow.
Here is a close up detail of the dragon panel. I couldn't remember if I had posted a picture of it before. The design I picked at Cynthia's is an all over dragon design. I am so excited to see it complete.
This is a close up of the borders I added around the middle rectangle.
This is close up design of the outer border (red) and the backing (black).
I almost forgot to post pictures of Beryl's rug. Here it is washed. It turned out pretty good but it is off on one corner making it a bit crooked. I am going to wash it again and see if that helps. Might have to stretch is some.
Here is the close-up of the chenille channels in the rug. So, it has been a busy weekend and feel like I got a lot accomplished. I am in the middle of cleaning up my room. It is a disaster from having all 4 projects going at once. My next project, beyond trimming and binding the quilts, is to start on the Take 5 quilt and maybe work on the Disappearing 9-patch at the same time. This is Jack's last week at school. He has to dress up on Friday. He is so looking forward to it! The rest of school continues until 6 June. I think he is going to have a few friends over for a bonfire sometime after graduation. He said he would give me a weeks notice LOL. Well, I have lingered here long enough, I need to get this room cleaned up. Will post more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment