Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flag Wall Hanging

Today did not go as planned. Melissa didn't come over, her daughter kept her up all night. So, I went to visit my friend in the hospital. He is doing pretty good. He isn't able to move his left arm and he is dragging his left foot. But no memory loss or slurred speech so that is good. He is supposed to move to a rehab center tomorrow. The doctor thinks he has sleep apnea and he stopped breathing in the middle of the night causing the stroke. It is really sad, reminds me too much of mom. I didn't get home until around 4 this afternoon so there was most of my day. I had a sinus headache when I woke up so been battling that all day. Then my cousin Max calls me to tell me my Aunt Ruth, my mom's sister is in the hospital because of a ruptured aorta. They have put a stint in and she is stable, she has lost some feeling in one of her legs, she is also going to a rehab center. I was kind of laying around after dinner and decided I would work on the flag wall hanging that I wanted to make. I didn't feel like cutting any of the retreat material. I've got it all layered and I started sewing the rows. This will be similar to the chenille baby blanket, same technique just using cotton material instead of flannel and also adding a layer of batting.
This is the backing. It will be face down and the layers go on top.
This is the batting. It goes between the backing and the top layers.
This is the top material. There will be four layers.
This is the four layers. When all sewn the top three layers will be cut to create the chenille/rag look. Since this is an all over pattern it isn't as important to match up the pattern. For the stain glass panels in my previous post, it will be very important to match up the pattern in all four layers in order to have the full design revealed through the layers.
Once you have all the layers, the next thing to do is pin all the layers together. This is pretty time consuming and I tend to probably over-pin my projects but I like to make sure everything stays together.
Now, you make a line from one corner to the diagonal corner using a disappearing ink marker.
Here is the line, hard to see on this darker material. I sewed a few of the lines but didn't get to far with it, I will work on it more tomorrow night. I have an idea for a project and here is the start of it. I have an ordinary florist wreath ring. I am wrapping it with this pretty ribbon. Wrapping it so the design repeats. As you can see I did not get all the way around. I will try re-wrapping to see if I can get all the way around or I will have to go to JoAnn's to get some more. I have overlapped quite a bit so I am thinking I can make it work. I hope this will turn out well...off to bed now, it is late!

No comments:

Post a Comment