Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15th






Well, here I am again. The beginning of 2012 has not been the best but I am trying to get through it all. It's going to be hard when Mother's Day comes around.

I've been trying to keep myself busy with work and quilts. I am actually in varying degrees of progress on 4 projects right now. I keep going out and buying more material for more projects. I am going to have to stop that and get down to getting things done. I have a quilt retreat coming up next month about mid-month. I am really excited about it and I need to start getting projects lined up to take with me.

I have finished a couple things that I have photos of. For Christmas I made Jessica a quilt with Japanese material and she really liked it. I am glad I made it for her because she moved into the college dorms in January and she has a nice quilt to use on her bed.

I just finished a rag quilt for a lady at work. I actually got it done before the baby arrived! She really liked it, she had a jungle type theme for her nursery so I had some great material to use for that. I also had fun using my die cutter to make the rag quilt. I am trying to challenge myself to learn new techniques.

I made Rachel a bag for Christmas but I forgot to take a picture of it. It had quilted panels and a draw string type closure made by inserting grommets.

I am currently working on a quilt for Dave's sister Doris. I am hoping to get it done for her birthday in July. It is called a Couch Quilt. I like the blue with the flowers. I would have had it done last weekend but I did not like the squares I cut to go around the edge so I had to go get some more of the material and now I need to cut those squares and the top will be done.

For my son Mark, I am making a Japanese inspired quilt. It has two panels with dragons and then red/black panels with Japanese writing or symbols. I am really happy with the design so far but that is as far as I've gotten with it. It may be going to the retreat with me to get finished up. I want to have it for him for his birthday in June.

I am currently (today) working on a set of quilts for a pair of twins that one of our Captains at work just had. I am trying a new technique for these quilts and it is taking me quite a bit of time just getting one of them done. It is called the faux chenille technique. What you do is have a backing piece and then layer 3 or for pieces on top sew on the diagonal and then take a special cutter and cut the top layers then wash and dry and the material frays giving it a look of chenille. I am currently making a green version, the second one will be same material but blue with the same backing material.

So, that's what I am up to as far as crafts go. I just moved to a new position in the same organization and I am much happier. I am working some of the training issues in the squadron, it is more the type of job I thought I was going to have when I went back to the organization. I am also applying for jobs in Oregon. I have been referred for one in Ashland and I have not qualified for one in Portland and Crater Lake. I will just keep applying, I am sure something will come along soon.

Jack is graduating June 2nd. Mark and Beryl are flying out for the ceremony. I will be happy to see Mark again, haven't seen him since last summer when we went to Lompoc for the reunion.

Well, I am going to wrap up for now. I am really going to try to keep this blog up and post more of my projects.

Have a great Sunday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment