Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting a Driver's License in Ohio - How hard could it be?

I am no longer a California resident. I waited until the last day to get my California driver's license changed to Ohio. I probably should have started about a week ago. I woke up this morning and went on my usual thrift shop run and had plans to meet the guys at Wendy's for lunch. While I was waiting for them, it dawned on me that it was the 31 of August and I only had 30 days from my retirement date to get a new driver's license without having to take the driving test. So, after lunch I headed over to the Xenia BMV ready to take the test. I handed my license and my little card that says it is good for 30 days and my retired military ID card to the man behind the desk. He looked at it and said I needed my DD214 paperwork. I said no, it has my retirement date on the back of the card. He said he couldn't accept that he needed my actual retirement paperwork. So, I grabbed my cards from him and said "oh my god"! and I left. Now you have to understand that I have never had a good encounter with this guy in getting Jack's driver's license so I was dreading going there in the first place and this just pushed me over the edge! So, I drive home, which is some ways by the way, and get my DD214 and decide to go to the BMV in Huber Heights because the guys at lunch told me it was a good place to go. So, I walk in there and hand the ID card and driver's license over to the lady, she asks me a few questions and I am then sitting at the computer taking the test, I get my 30 right and 4 wrong (only need 30 out of 40 to pass). Walk back up to the counter and the gentleman gets my cards looks me up on the computer and lets out an amazed "you passed" comment which I wasn't sure how to take, was he surprised someone like me could pass the test??? He said and I quote "Do you have proof of residency?" I said, "Yes", he said, "go next door and you can get your license". I walk next door and go to get a number when the "help desk" lady stops me and asks me what I want. I say I want to get a driver's license, she says is my old one from out of state, I say yes, she says, "you need your birth certificate, social security card and proof of residency". I say "the man next door said I just need proof of residency" she says "well, we give out the license, he don't and you need your birth certificate" I turn and say Oh My God again and stomp out the door! I again drive all the way back home which did I mention is quite a ways away?? I get my birth certificate and my marriage certificate and any other piece of paper that looks important and go back to the first office I was at because it is a little closer than the other one. I walk in and wait in line...wait no first I get money from the ATM because did I tell you that the BMV only takes cash or checks but mostly they like CASH$$$. I get to the front of the line and lay out all the papers I have and ask the lady if she thinks I have everything I could possibly have to get my driver's license and she takes the papers she needs and processes me and I get an Ohio driver's license.

And that is how you get a driver's license in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment