Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Braided Rug

I have been working on a braided rug this past week. I've gone as far as I can with the strips that I had from my scrap bag. I'll have to find a similar color pallet and cut some more or I may just get a plain beige and alternate with some color.
I secured my braid to the basket handle and then wrapped it around the handle as it grew in length. This kept tension on the braid. I am not sure how many strips I used or how long they were I didn't think to measure them before hand but final braid was about 4 yards long. So, to start you take 3 strips secure to something with a safety pin and start braiding.
To join the new strip in, you cut a slit in the end of the strip on the braid and the new strip. You put both strips slits together (material right side to wrong side) take the opposite end of the new strip (end without slit) and put through both slits and pull it through, pull tight. This will join the strips securely and you can continue with your braid.
After getting all the strips braided, you start shaping the rug how you want it. I decided to make this one oval. So, begin your center, I started with about 4 inches and then just start going around that center piece, round and round until you get to the end of your braid.
This is what my oval looks like right now. I am going to get some more material to cut into strips to finish it up. I'll probably do another 8 yards to make a fairly large rug. I will show how to sew it when I have finished with the next braid addition.
Here is a few pictures of the room. It is all done now. Going to start moving my stuff in tomorrow and hopefully be all moved in by Sunday. I am so excited! Dave did a really awesome job! I'll post more pictures once we get everything set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment