Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Japanese Quilt Binding

It was a long week! I was under the weather on Wednesday. The compressor on our air conditioner in the house went out so we slept with the window open and a fan blowing on us to stay cool. I woke up Wednesday with a scratchy throat and stuffy nose. My allergies have been bothering me ever since then. Since I missed work on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were just go-go-go at work. I had a big accomplishment at work on Friday. I finally got my testing room up and running and successfully proctored my first test! It is a really big accomplishment for us as an organization so I am really proud that I established it. I'll be giving the test every Friday for a couple of months, I need to get all of my Airmen tested so they can be upgraded to their 5-skill level. Today, David and I went on a covered bridge run with the Jeep club. The day started out fine but my the time we stopped for lunch it was really hot and humid. Now that we have the half doors there is not air conditioning in the Jeep so it was not that comfortable. Plus I have my allergies flared up and riding around in the open air just did a number on me. Dave brought me home and I felt bad he had to leave early because I think he was looking forward to going all the way to the end, they were going to have a cookout and do some raffles. I told him he could drop me off and go but I guess it would have been too far to drive back. I've been trying to lay down and rest or nap but my head plugs up and I get to coughing. I am going to sleep here in the craft room tonight so I can prop myself up and not disturb Dave. This week I cut the binding for Mark's Japanese quilt. I decided to use the black material with the white Japanese words. I ended up sewing strips together that measured about 12 yards. In the picture you see it in the raw form on the ironing board and then rolled up and ready to be sewn on the quilt. I did the sew it to the back-flip to the front technique to bind it, I guess I would call that my normal technique. One day I may sew it to the front and hand sew it to the back but it will have to be a small quilt for me to do that! I used a red varigated thread on the front and plain black on the back. I used a new stitch this time for my decorative stitch. It think it goes well with the rest of the quilt although if I had to do it again I would probably do both sides in black, using the red shows every little flaw, mostly a wavy stitch line. But I think it looks pretty cool and I am sure Mark will be happy to finally get it. Next I will be cutting the binding for Jack's quilt and sewing it on tomorrow. I was going to try to get all three done this weekend but not sure if I am going to get to Doris'. May get the binding cut tomorrow. Here it is all done!! Just have to pack it and have Dave mail it on Monday. Have to get it there before his birthday...he'll be 22 this year!! I'll post some pictures of the covered bridges tomorrow, I have to transfer them from the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment