Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

March Already??

I can't believe how the days just fly by! I have been really down in February. Once my back went out that seemed like the worst. I have been going to work and coming home only to lay on the heating pad and go to bed. I saw the Dr. this week and he gave me long term pain medicine and it has helped the last couple of nights. The sun has also been out the last few days (but not today) so that has helped with my mood too.

I received some good news on Monday, my VA disability rating finally came through and they rated me at 70%. They are still reviewing some of my conditions so that % may go up. I received all of my back pay for the last 6 months which came to $8242. Then yesterday I had an extra $1250 in my account and I just opened the mail to find out they had resolved the remaining issues and I am now at 80%!! This is really good news. I still need to send them some more information on my back to hopefully receive a higher percentage for that.

It was nice to get all the back pay because Mark got accepted to Cal Poly! He will be attending in the Fall as a transfer student so he will be considered a Junior. I had thought I would transfer my GI bill to him to help pay for school but I found out I was supposed to transfer before I got out of the service so that won't work. The California VA has been paying his tuition for Allan Hancock but he can't make more than $11,300 for them to do that and he made $12,000 last year, so, my nice little back pay will go towards paying his first year at Cal Poly. He will not work that many hours this year so he can get the CA VA entitlement back. I am just so happy he got accepted, that is where he really wanted to go.

I am trying to get a government job doing contracting. I have applied and now that I am a disabled vet I get a higher priority for hiring so hopefully I will get something soon. I've decided that I will need to work for the next 5 years to make sure both the boys will be able to go to college. So, I decided I will fully retire at 50 and use my GI bill to go back to school full time.

Okay so for crafts, I haven't done anything. Tonight I am going to do a small sampler to take to the class next week where we are going to learn how to bind the quilts. I've got to get back to my twin size pink quilt for my bed which I won't need soon (LOL) and the Turtle quilt which I have to finish all those turtle blocks. I am going to look for some knitting to do to, I don't seem to be in the knitting mood lately.

All right it is dinner time. I will take some pictures of the sampler tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment